SQ Engineering J160 Gearbox Shifter Relocation Kit
- J160 / AZ6 6-speed gearbox shifter relocation kit for use in AE86 and other 80's RWD Toyota cars.
- No gearbox modifications needed - plug and play
- Moves shifter close to T50 OEM shifter location
- Hardened shifter pins - hardened aircraft steel (4140) for ultimate durability
- New OEM nylon shifter bush included
Details from SQ Engineering below:
Toyota's J160 / AZ6 series of gearbox from Aisin are commonly used in conversions, however the gearstick position on these are located quite far rearward. When fitted into Corolla's and other commonly converted models the gear stick usually ends up considerably off the correct position, let alone fitting through the original shifter hole. To combat this we have developed a very easy to fit kit that moves the gear stick position forward.
Features and advantages
- No gearbox modification or disassembly: To fit this kit no custom mods or disassembly of the gearbox housing is required. Nor does any parts need to be exchanged with us.
- Clearances: Both of the main parts have been designed to be a close fitting as possible. This is particularly important for the rear extension where it's held over the rear of the gearbox as this is where it is most likely to hit the transmission tunnel. With our adapter it requires less than 8mm / 5/16" from the top edge of the gearbox housing giving the best possible chance to clear the floorpan and fit the gearstick out of the original shifter hole.
- Ease and speed of fitment: During the install the original shifter assembly is unbolted, some or the original parts such as the gearstick swapped over and then the shifter is refitted into place.The whole process is very quick and easy to perform and all of the non original parts such as fasteners are supplied. See here for the installation guide.
- Position change: From the factory forward position (behind a G-engine) this kit moves the gearstick 110mm further forward, or +155mm from where it's originally used in an Altezza. In terms of distance from the bellhousing face to gearstick center it is very close to that of a T50 gearbox.
- Direct action: Just like the factory design the gearstick end bushing directly pushes the rear extension piece. The new replacement housings feature integral dowels to locate to the gearbox housing stopping any unwanted movement and the new rear extensions have been produced from a 2-part steel design to minimise any sort of flex. Therefore when this kit is fitted the gear shift feel is every bit as direct as it originally was.
- Toughened pins: The gearstick pivot pins have been made from surface hardened aircraft steel (4140) and given a black oxide finishing treatment before being pressed into the housings. Furthermore each pin has an additional retainer bolt as a secondary backup. This gives assurance against corrosion, wear or any kind of failure.
- New gearstick bottom bush: An OEM replacement bush for the gearstick bottom pivot ball is automatically supplied with each kit. This takes away unwanted gearstick movement to make the shifting more direct and precise.
- New shifter housing
- New rear extension
- Gearbox type: Pending on which engine the gearbox was originally fitted to there are two J160 variants- To suit S or G series engines. There are also two different types of shifter assembly- a steel and a die cast aluminium housing. This kit suits any J160 type and shifter, however it will not suit other non-Toyota AZ6 types as seen in some Mazda and Nissan's.
- Short shift kits: If a short shift kit has been made to hold the gearstick end in the same place then it should be directly compatible with our product. If there are variances then it may require some simple relief work for clearance in the housing(s).
Installation notes and videos
- The following original parts are re-used: Gear-stick with both plastic bushes, gear-stick retainer bolts, top & bottom steel shims (fitted to either side of the pivot bush) and the rear extension bolt & dowel pin that is fitted into the shifter shaft.
- When fitted this kit holds the gearstick on the same neutral position right-tilt as per original.
- Due to the gear-stick being moved to a different location the shifting leverage will be altered, however this will cause an increase in throw of less than 10%.
We Also Recommend